I’ve been meaning to buy or make a summer weight dressing gown for some time, my only dressing gown is a great, thick, cuddly white thing that’s far too hot for summer use, so I nick Mr. Lacer’s instead, much to his chagrin.
I’ve been eyeing up a pattern for a kimono style bathrobe in Amy Butler’s In Stitches but it looked horribly complicated and required a lot of fabric. If I’d brought enough of my favourite Amy Butler fabric, the project would have cost nearly £40, I could buy a dressing gown for that, probably better made! But I still wanted to give it a go and the only fabric in my stash in that large an amount was a red and white ‘moomin’ style fabric, I got for probably something like £2, a few years ago. Not my ideal fabric choice for a dressing gown, in fact I’m not sure why I brought the fabric, probably solely because it cost £2. But I thought it wouldn’t be too bad then if I mucked it up.
So, I started the project this afternoon after lunch and managed to finish it (with some obvious breaks) in front of Newsnight. And it was surprisingly easy! It was my first project from In Stitches and I wasn’t totally impressed with the quality of some of their instructions, I’m pretty sure I probably put the placket on wrongly and some of their definitions could have been clearer, not too bad though as long as you’ve got a few projects already under your belt.
So overall I’m rather pleased with my new, very cheap dressing gown, I wish it had been in nicer (preferably Amy Butler) fabric but the Ikea fabric isn’t too bad, has quite a nice crisp feeling and the print is quite nice and bold.