I’ve been wanting to stitch this embroidery pattern from a very old issue of Mollie Makes for a very long time. I finally got round to it as an excuse to play some more with my printable Sulky Slovy (this is not the first embroidery I did with the sulky solvy, that piece has yet to be sewn up). Printable Sulky Solvy is a wash away fabric stabiliser which you can, ummm, print on. As usual with all the fun craft stuff, it is seems quite hard to get hold off here in the UK, you can order it in but it’s a bit on the pricy side, however it is really, really good for transferring really intricate embroidery patterns, where you’re likely to make a mistake when transferring them by hand using a light table (or even worse, a window). Also (although I haven’t tried this yet), I think it would be fantastic for embroidering on T-shirts, particularly dark coloured t-shirts where not only do you have the normal problem with the fabric, if you don’t use a stabiliser but you also have issues being able to see the pattern (if you’ve used a water soluble pen etc).
Anyway, I thought that old Mollie Makes pattern was
too much of a bother to transfer too intricate to transfer well, at least accurately, so I used the Sulky Solvy. Unfortunately, when I had ordered the Sulky Solvy I had thought I was ordering separate printable sheets but I got one very large sheet, this made it awkward but not impossible to print, as I had to cut the Sulky Solvy to the size I wanted and then alter the paper size in my printer settings. I’ve printed up three projects that way with Sulky Solvy and it was only with the third project did I have an issue with my printer jamming. But because of the restrictions with paper size I had to significantly shrink down the Mollie Makes pattern and consequently use just one strand of embroidery floss for most of the pattern but I quite like how it’s worked.
An in progress shot showing the Sulky Solvy in place
Using the Sulky Solvy was interesting, I certainly appreciated being able to embroider without have to contend with my dodgy transfer marks and wobbly lines, so actually being able to embroider absolutely where the original pattern intended. The only (very small) negatives I found were (1) the sulky solvy is very stitcky, so as your needle passes through it, it gets a little sticky itself, this is normally ok except with french knots, sometimes it was a little tricky to get the knot to slide down my needle properly (2) as sticky as the sulky solvy was, if it had been on the fabric for a while, particularly if you’ve been moving your hoop around, the sulky solvy can start to peel off at the edges, I think this could probably been solved by making sure you’re using a hoop big enough for your whole project and you could always pin or tack the loose sulky solvy down anyway (3) after washing off the sulky solvy, some of my stitches seem a little looser than normal and finally (4) not sulky solvy’s fault but (not with this project, but another I haven’t quite finished yet), I fell foul of my supposedly water fast embroidery thread not being water fast.
Tiny bit of turkey stitch at the end of the scarf and my favourite bit, the trees.
The embroidery itself is sewn into yet another one of my patchwork tote bags, it’s *ahem* a bit of an odd size but never mind, it’d be quite handy if I wanted to *ahem* take a bottle of wine on a walk in the park. No but in all seriousness, I often use the tote bags I make as WIP storage and I think this bag is just the right size for some knitting needles and a ball of wool or two, so it’ll almost certainly get used for that.
As an aside, whilst checking out Flickr whilst I was posting my photos for this, I spotted Hugs Are Fun excellent French Knot colour wheel and I noticed it was part of her attempt at the 30 for 30 crafting challenge run by The Crafting Geek. And that made me think, I am terrible for finishing projects at the moment, one look at this blog this year and you’d think I’d fallen off the crafting wagon and yes, I am probably making less at the moment, but it’s not as little as it looks like, as just like with the Walk in the Park embroidery, I will finish an embroidery and then falter, big time, at the sewing it up stage. I finished the embroidery part of a Walk in the Park about a month ago but only sewed it up today, which actually for me, these days, is quite prompt! I have some lovely embroidery pieces I’ve worked really hard on, that I completed last year, that have yet to see the light of blog because I rarely post WIPs and well I just haven’t finished sewing them into the thing I want to sew them into. Sooo, although I’ve sort of sworn off challenges, I’m going to do this, for 30 days I will work on a work in progress that I have been putting off, for a minimum of 30 minutes. I have a lot of WIPs but for this challenge I’m going to be working on the WIPs that have fell out of favour with me and that I am not actively working on, to try and relight that fire a bit. So, I definitely think sewing up the Walk in a Park embroidery counted as one of those, so day 1 done!