Day 166 – the mood blanket continues
I always find the month after Christmas an odd one crafting wise (and in other ways to, thinking about it), I’ll have just finished a whole load of projects (or given up on them and bought a last minute present instead) and that means a new month means, potentially anyway, the chance for a whole load of new projects. But at the same time I tend to be embroidered out (if that is at all possible) and it’s a time when I look at my long term wips that are now so long term that they classify as something I started last year and I don’t want to really start anything new.
I have started some new projects mind you and have already given up on one of them, they were
Day 165 – sky 2015 needlepoint
I’ve given up on this already, I really really like the idea of recording sky colour daily, like with my sky scarf but the sky scarf wasn’t really that accurate with the choice of two colours of wool each day out of a choice between dark grey, light grey, dark blue, light blue and white. There are after all a lot more shades of blue and if you’ve chosen to combine a blue wool with a grey or white wool to represent the cloud colour that day, it’s like I said, a bit inaccurate. So, not wanting to knit another sky thing (although making a sky blanket one year might be good, as that way you get round the tangling wool issue I had with the scarf), I decided to do some needlepoint. Obviously with needlepoint you can only use one colour per day but I chose a greater range of colours and I was planning on going on actual sky colour, ignoring the cloud colour, unless the sky was completely overcast. But, whereas it was easy (if not, like I say, completely accurate) to look at the sky each day and go ‘dark grey, dark blue’ for example and then remember it to write it down later, even with my little coded card I made, which you can see in the photo above, it was hard to remember which colour was which day. I had planned to take the little card around with me but I’m not that organised and even when I did, I was normally too busy at midday (when I’ve been making a note of the sky colour) to go and get the card out of my bag and work out which colour the sky most resembled. And as I found out, even though I had chosen a greater range of colours, it still wasn’t anywhere nearly enough to be accurate. So, for those reasons and a reason I will go into below, I’ve decided to stop.
I have started (despite not finishing my 2014 version yet and being nowhere near finishing it – but I will) a 2015 mood blanket. I’m making it out of EPP hexagons this time and it is a darn sight quicker than knitting!
As I mentioned in my sky scarf post, one of the reasons why I did the sky scarf and mood blanket last year was to encourage me to become a more regular and (slightly more) confident knitter and it’s worked! I’m currently working on an adapted snood pattern from Wool & The Gang, which I absolutely love.
I’ve also been doing a bit more patchwork inspired by Lu Summers brilliant Quilt Improv* book which had me raring to do some patchwork pretty much as soon as I downloaded it. I think (realistically) it’ll be a while before I’ve finished making what I plan to do with these squares though.
I have also been doing some acrylic painting as part of my #TSNEM.
So, basically no embroidery in sight at the moment, but I remember very well that this happened last January to and then after a while my fingers began itching for my embroidery needles again and it all exploded in an explosion of embroidery (I could have thought of a better metaphor there). But there has been one other ‘crafty’ thing I’ve been doing in the past 30 days and it’s something that has made me realise that I can not have too many wips on the go at any one time, I’ve been reorganising my craft space. It’s still very much a work in progress but I’ve recently replaced the desk I was *ahem* supposed to be working on, with a new book case, as with the desk taking up space in my room I didn’t have enough storage space, so I used the desk as storage, hence no working space anyway. Replacing it with another bookcase (I already had three floor to ceiling bookcases in my bedroom, which are mainly filled with books), means that my stuff is stored vertically instead of horizontally and I’ve got more floor space which makes the space slightly more pleasant for what it’s really meant to be for, i.e. a bedroom, not a craft room. Rearranging my space is still ongoing, I need to continue having a massive clear out, I’ve been using the principles describing in this blog post from Wendi Gratz and it has been really really helping, I chucked out three bin bags worth of stuff yesterday and I think that’s probably only around 50% of the stuff that needs to go, probably even less. But going back to why decluttering has made me realise I can’t have too many wips on the go at any one time, it’s that when I’m not working on a wip I usually store it in bags, I find Cass Art bags great for storing larger projects, I have either handmade pouches or A5 pouches from Smiggle (the Smiggle pouches are fantastic as they have large zipped compartments which are good for separating out floss and they’re just about big enough for a small hoop) for embroidery and see through flat plastic wallets for cross stitch (I use tins as well sometimes for cross stitch to) and anyway, when I look at my new bookcase, I’ve come to realise that there are way too many Cass Art bags, pouches, folders and tins, all with wips, stuffed on it. So despite starting some new stuff this year, I really, really can’t start too much more, as I’ve literally got nowhere to put it and what I have got going is taking up too much space as it is. So I have to cut down both on my clutter and what I’m creating at any one time, so that means, in part, finishing some stuff!
Day 179 – a small section of my new shelves